Thursday, July 10, 2014

Gory Details of first sting

Ok! I finally got the video up.  The first minute and a half will show how I managed to get stung.  I earned this one.  I will say that I wasn't expecting the girls to be hanging out behind the follower board.  My reaction was absolutely awful.  My girls were much more forgiving than I had any right to expect.  As for the rest of the video, it is how an inspection looks like when I am shaken up.  It is not pretty.  The only good points are when I get to the last two frames.  Those were the new-style frames.  They were a whopping success!  The girls drew the comb down through the wire as straight as can be.  Now it will take me until next July to finish culling out all of the old style frames.  I plan on starting the process on my next inspection of Team Dai-Gurren some time this week.  If I can find my queen I will get rid of the double comb first.  There is so much bad comb that the girls started offset just because I forgot to install a spacer between the first comb and the wall of the hive.  Near the end of the video, when I was looking at my last frame, I did hear piping.  I didn't see any queen cells.  I think I am in for a new batch of trouble soon.

Here is a video someone else took of piping for comparison.

It has been almost two days since I received my first sting.  I think the itch is worse than having the chicken-pox.  I sure hope I build up a resistance to this effect with time.

In about 5 more days I will inspect the nuc to see how it is doing!  The girls are still bring in lots of pollen.  That is very encouraging!  Also, their numbers are up to the point that my packages started at.

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

First bee sting ever details coming soon!

     I am still in the process of editing the video. I should have it finished tomorrow afternoon.  Got to work tonight and need rest.  I am only cutting out the dead time( about 8 minutes) and I am adding some captions.  After you see the video you will see why I named this blog what I did.  It is funny to me, and I am the victim of this joke.  Here is a photo of the sting 4 hours after the incident.

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Finally! I have two queen candidates for my nuc.

It has been 11 days since I started the nuc with two frames of brood and eggs.  I am happy to say that the girls are working on acquiring a queen.  Of the three queen cells that I saw in the inspection 4 days ago, two of them now have pupae in them.  The nuc looked pretty good on this inspection.  It doesn't appear that any robbing took place despite the obvious attempts.  I guess the robbing screens really did do the job, even when the nuc was in no position to defend its self.  The next benefit that I am looking for is whether or not the robbing screen helps detour wax moths.  I will have to think of a way to measure this.  I don't have enough bees and equipment to run a comparison of hives with and without robbing screens.

I finally saw the bees bringing in a respectable amount of pollen earlier this afternoon.  Also the comb that was placed from the two different hives don't appear to be too close to each other.  I feel good enough about the nuc to wait two weeks before taking a peek in there again.  Here is a video of the nuc inspection.

I think the next time I start a nuc, I will start with one frame of capped brood with good pollen stores.  Then after 4 days, I'll add another frame with eggs.  I think I'll wait a week and add one frame of eggs if no queen cells are filled, or I'll add a frame of capped larvae if they have a good start on their new queen.  I'll go through this routine until the new queen is laying eggs.  After the nuc has four frames I will have to perform a trade instead of just adding frames.