Thursday, July 10, 2014

Gory Details of first sting

Ok! I finally got the video up.  The first minute and a half will show how I managed to get stung.  I earned this one.  I will say that I wasn't expecting the girls to be hanging out behind the follower board.  My reaction was absolutely awful.  My girls were much more forgiving than I had any right to expect.  As for the rest of the video, it is how an inspection looks like when I am shaken up.  It is not pretty.  The only good points are when I get to the last two frames.  Those were the new-style frames.  They were a whopping success!  The girls drew the comb down through the wire as straight as can be.  Now it will take me until next July to finish culling out all of the old style frames.  I plan on starting the process on my next inspection of Team Dai-Gurren some time this week.  If I can find my queen I will get rid of the double comb first.  There is so much bad comb that the girls started offset just because I forgot to install a spacer between the first comb and the wall of the hive.  Near the end of the video, when I was looking at my last frame, I did hear piping.  I didn't see any queen cells.  I think I am in for a new batch of trouble soon.

Here is a video someone else took of piping for comparison.

It has been almost two days since I received my first sting.  I think the itch is worse than having the chicken-pox.  I sure hope I build up a resistance to this effect with time.

In about 5 more days I will inspect the nuc to see how it is doing!  The girls are still bring in lots of pollen.  That is very encouraging!  Also, their numbers are up to the point that my packages started at.

No comments:

Post a Comment