Sunday, June 22, 2014
Making my first nuc
Alright! I finally built some of the new style frames with a wire running across the bottom. And since I was in an industrious mood I built a nuc as well.
Well yesterday I went to select my first two frames to put in the nuc from team Roamey. I was in a bit of a hurry, so I didn't bother to light my smoker. It turns out that in this instance that was a good thing. Apparently the smoke will drive the nurse bees off of the frame as well. When it is all said and done I should have four frames added to the nuc. The next two frames will come from team Dai-Gurran, one each week. This should discourage a laying worker. I plan on adding frames that have both capped brood and eggs. Before adding the frame I will inspect the nuc to see if they have started their own queen cells. Here is a video of the split.
Today I did see some activity in front of the nuc. It appears that the other bees have discovered it as well. This is where I am real happy that I make all of my hives with robbing screens.
Next week I will probably just take pictures of my nuc inspection. But I will get a video of the inspection of team Dai-Gurran.