Sunday, June 22, 2014

Making my first nuc

Alright!  I finally built some of the new style frames with a wire running across the bottom.  And since I was in an industrious mood I built a nuc as well.



Well yesterday I went to select my first two frames to put in the nuc from team Roamey.  I was in a bit of a hurry, so I didn't bother to light my smoker.  It turns out that in this instance that was a good thing.  Apparently the smoke will drive the nurse bees off of the frame as well.  When it is all said and done I should have four frames added to the nuc.  The next two frames will come from team Dai-Gurran, one each week.  This should discourage a laying worker.  I plan on adding frames that have both capped brood and eggs.  Before adding the frame I will inspect the nuc to see if they have started their own queen cells.  Here is a video of the split.

Today I did see some activity in front of the nuc.  It appears that the other bees have discovered it as well.  This is where I am real happy that I make all of my hives with robbing screens.

Next week I will probably just take pictures of my nuc inspection.  But I will get a video of the inspection of team Dai-Gurran.

1 comment:

  1. Yes the sugar syrup was leaking. It may be years before I can start a hive without flooding the bottom. I did fix the problem by placing a block between the bottle and the hive body. This changed the tilt, and it appears to be working at the moment.

    ReplyDelete